Malfunctioning is just one reason to reset your device, there could be a few others like you wish to sell your iPhone, restore it to factory settings, update your iPhone OS with a fresh start etc. So whatever may be the reason, here are some ways by which you can factory reset or restore your iPhone.
But before you perform this task, make sure to back-up your data on iCloud or via iTunes on a computer. This is because, once you reset your iPhone or even iPad for that matter, as there is no way by which you can get back the deleted data.
How to restore iPhone from iCloud without resetting?
There are a lot of ways to restore iPhone, and one among the ways is to do it through iCloud. But before you reset, you should take a back-up, so that you can recover your data back. And to do so, follow the steps given below.
- Go to settings
- Go to the menu at the top
- Go to iCloud and then click “iCloud backup” and then start a new backup.
iPhone restore from backup
Once the back-up is completed, you can go ahead for resetting the iPhone, and after your phone is fresh, it’s time to restore! So here is how you can restore your iPhone data from iCloud.
- On your iOS device, go to “Settings” then click on “General” and then on “Software Update”. If a newer version of iOS is available, then follow the onscreen instructions to download and install it.
- Then as discussed above, make sure you have a recent backup on iCloud to restore the data from.
- Now, if your iPhone or iPad is running on iOS 11 or later, go to “Settings” then select your name and then select “iCloud” then select “Manage Storage” and then click on “Backups”
- On iOS 10.3, go to Settings click on your name, and then click on “iCloud.” Tap the graph that shows your iCloud usage; later tap “Manage Storage”.
- Then tap a device listed under Backups to see the date and size of its latest backup.
- Then on the Apps & Data screen, tap Restore from iCloud Backup, then sign in to iCloud.
- Proceed to “Choose backup,” then choose from a list of available backups in iCloud.
For help deciding which backup to restore from, including information about restoring from another device’s backup, see the
How to restore iPhone from iTunes?
We learnt as how to restore your iOS device from iCloud, now it’s time to learn how to restore your iOS data from iTunes. Obviously the first thing that is mandatory is to have iTunes installed on your computer or laptop. Now, iTunes can backup your iOS devices, like iPhone, iPad, and also iPod, or restore your information to those devices. iTunes also preserves your device settings including your clicked pictures.
So let’s learn how to do it.
- Open iTunes and connect your device to your computer.
- Select your iOS device when it appears in iTunes under “Devices.”
- Now select “device” and select the Summary tab.
- Uncheck “Encrypt iPhone Backup” because, if you forget the password, iTunes will not restore your back up ever!
- Now click on “Backup iOS Device”
You have now backed up your device on iTunes. Following steps will guide you on how to restore from a Backup. Use these steps to manually restore information from a backup to your iOS device using iTunes.
- Open iTunes and connect your iOS device to the computer.
- Select your device in iTunes under Devices in the menu on the left hand side of the screen.
- Right-click for Windows PC (or control-click for MacOS PC) on the device and choose “Restore from Backup”.
But there are chances that you nay come across an error that reads – iTunes could not restore the iPhone because the backup was corrupt or not compatible.
For this, you can re-install or update iTunes on your PC or laptop.
How to restore iPhone to factory settings or How to restore iPhone without iTunes?
Restoring the iOS device or iPhone is a very easy 4-step process.
- Click “settings” then “General,” further scroll down and then select “Reset.”
- Tap “Erase All Content and Settings” then enter the code or password in order to erase and reset. You have to enter the code(s) to reset the device.
- Now you will have to enter your Apple ID password. This is so the account can be removed from your device, and Find My iPhone can be switched off.
- The reset process can take a minute or two, after which you’ll see the welcome screen. That’s it!
If in case you did not understand anything the above process please contact Apple support by visiting support.apple.com/iPhone/restore.
How to restore iPhone without updating?
If you do not want to update your iPhone and still restore it then follow the below given steps
- Disconnect the PC / Laptop from the internet
- Connect your iPhone to iTunes and it will detect it automatically.
- Now, under “Devices”, click on “Backup and Restore” and then select “Restore Backup.”
iPhone restore error 9
These steps are generally recommended by Apple Support to help iOS device users deal with iTunes restore or update problems as manifested by the error 9 prompted on the iPhone 6.
- Unplug the cable that connects to your iPhone from the USB port on your computer, and then reconnect it. Do the same from your iOS device.
- Ensure the USB cable is directly connected to the port on the phone. If necessary, try to remove any third-party battery packs or cases.
- Make sure all virtualization apps like Parallels or VMWare are closed as these apps might interrupt the computer’s ability to communicate via USB, especially if they are not configured properly, or outdated.
- Reboot your computer and iPhone or verify and ensure you’re using the latest version of iTunes.
- Try to disconnect other USB devices from your computer except for your keyboard and mouse, and then reconnect your iPhone.
- Try using a different USB cable to connect your iPhone to your computer.
Be sure to test your device after completing each step to see if it has fixed the problem.
How to restore iPhone without passcode?
While updating or restoring your iPhone from iTunes, you do not need a passcode. You can actually connect your iPhone or iPad to iTunes and click on restore your iPhone so restore iPhone without passcode.