If you want to reset echo dot that has started to work inappropriately lately, then this guide will walk you through the process to do so. Along with this, you will get to know so many things about Amazon echo dot that you might not know. So without wasting much time, let us begin our brief discussion about Amazon echo dot.
What is echo dot?
As the name itself suggests, that it is some device or gadget related to the voice or echo. Nowadays, there are many voice assistants available in the market and Amazon echo dot is one of them. It is a voice-controlled computing device that can be used to getting a response to certain questions, to play music, get reports on weather, etc. You can also get to hear the latest news or get updated with the sports score. It also offers smart home connectivity for controlling devices that include appliances that can be enabled through the Internet. These appliances include lights, thermostats, switches, and similar smart electronics devices. Moreover, you can connect apps and services including Spotify, Uber, Twitter, etc. with it.
How to set up and use echo dot?
After purchasing the Echo dot, you need to set it up for getting started with it and use it. For this, you have to make sure you are connected to the Internet and then you can follow the steps listed below:
- First of all, download the Alexa app by opening the application through which you usually download other apps.
- After opening the app, go to its “settings” menu.
- From here, select the “Add Device” option.
- Further, you have to select “Amazon Echo”
- Consecutively, tap on Echo Dot.
- Plugin the Echo device by attaching the cables to it.
- Now, follow some instructions to set it up correctly.
- After this connect the Echo dot to Wi-Fi. For doing this, the steps are listed in the next section.
- After setting it up, you have to get started with it.
- For using this, say the wake word i.e. “Alexa” by default.
How to connect echo dot to Wi-Fi?
- Open the Alexa app and go to its navigation panel available on the left.
- Further, click on the “Settings” option.
- From here, select the name of your device.
- After this, tap on the “Update Wi-Fi” option.
- Now, press and hold the “Action” button present on the Echo dot.
- Further, you have to tap on the “Wi-Fi” network.
- Consecutively, enter the network password when prompted.
- In the end, click on the “Connect” button to complete the process.
Read – How to change the WiFi password?
Google home mini VS echo dot
If you are confused about choosing from Google Home mini and echo dot, then there are certain considerations that you can make to end your dilemma. You can connect speakers to both of them to increase their sound. The echo dot is a low-cost smart speaker with four microphones and on the other hand, home mini consists of only three microphones. The price is the same for both of them. After going through its specifications at their respective websites, you can decide upon which one to go for.
Factory reset using the Alexa app
- First of all, go to the “Devices” section.
- After this, click on the “Echo & Alexa” option available at the top.
- From here, select the speaker you want to reset i.e. “echo dot”.
- Scroll down to find the “factory reset” option.
- When you find it, click on this option.
- Finally, confirm your action to complete the reset process.
Factory reset using the buttons on the Echo speaker
Resetting an Amazon Echo varies depending on the different generations of the same model and here’s how you can reset the various generations of echo device:
To reset the 1st generation of echo device-
- Using the paper clip, press and hold the “Reset” button on the device.
- After this, wait for a while until the light ring turns off and on again and again.
To reset Echo dot 2nd generation-
- Take your echo device and locate the “Microphone Off” button.
- After this, locate the “Volume down” button.
- Now, press and hold these two buttons simultaneously.
- Have patience for up to 20 seconds until the light ring turns orange.
To reset Echo dot 3rd generation-
- First of all, locate the “Action” button.
- You may find it on the right of the top panel.
- Now, press and hold it for at least 25 seconds.
This way you can easily reset echo dot and if you come across any difficulty while doing so, then you may seek expert assistance.