There could be a variant of reasons why one needs to factory reset his PC and this varies from person to person. There is an option known as “Reset this PC” in Windows 10 which helps you reset the pc in one click. But, sometimes, you see that Windows 10 reset failed due to certain reasons. However, this Windows 10 factory reset failed may accompany with an error code/message or not. Whatever be the reason of this reset failure, you need not worry in such a situation as all Windows 10 problems can be resolved with the help of certain troubleshooting methods.
At times, you might experience that Windows 10 reset failed no changes were made. In such a scenario, you just need to follow some workarounds and then you will be able to reset your device without any hurdle. Coming to the cause of why this must be happening, we can say that the most likely cause of the problem is that the Windows Recovery Environment image is offline or corrupted.
Steps to fix Windows 10 factory reset failed
You may undergo the process of ‘Startup Repair’ to get rid of this problem at the earliest. This is considered as one of the Windows recovery tools using which you can fix minor or major issues with your PC.
- First of all, you need to click on the ‘Restart’ option.
- Do this while pressing and holding the ‘Shift’ key.
- Doing this will boot your device in the Recovery Mode.
- The automatic startup repair also begins with the same.
- Else, go to the ‘Advanced’ settings of your device.
- Then, click on the ‘Troubleshoot’ button.
- This should be followed by clicking on ‘Advanced options’.
- Next up, click on the ‘Startup Repair’ to begin the basic repair.
Try this fix when you are unable to reset Windows 10
Most probably, your system has corrupted system files in it. These files might be preventing it from resetting your PC. Hence, running the System File Checker (SFC) will let a user repair these files. After this, you can try resetting your PC again. To run the system file checker follow the steps that are listed as follows:
- First, you need to search for the Command Prompt.
- After that, right-click on it and select ‘Run as administrator’.
- Enter the password when prompted.
- In the command prompt, type SFC /scan now and hit the enter key.
- Wait for a few minutes and the available system errors detected will get repaired.
- All the functions will not be repaired until you restart your computer.
Try to reset your pc once again and you will be able to do it after following these procedures.
You may also like to know:
How do you fix there was a problem resetting your PC Windows 10?
There are various troubleshooting methods you can try in order to fix the problems that are causing trouble while resetting Windows 10. You may run the System File Checker, run the Startup Repair program, rename system and software registry, or refresh your device using Windows Defender.
Does resetting the PC remove the virus?
When you run a factory reset on your device, all external programs or files stored on it are removed completely which the virus might have entered your system. Hence, resetting the PC removes the viruses from it as well.
How long does it take to reset a PC Windows 10?
When you go on to reset your Windows PC, you have to choose one of the given options. If you choose option reading as ‘Just Remove My Files’, it will take up to a few minutes. However, if you select the ‘Fully Clean The Drive’, it may take up to three to four hours to complete the reset.