To factory reset a laptop means to restore the laptop to the default settings. There are various reasons why one needs to do a factory reset laptop. One of the reasons why one does it is because his laptop has started to work inappropriately and no method is making it work right. Therefore, the only option a user is left with is to factory reset laptop. Another reason for doing so could be that he is planning to sell it and doesn’t want to compromise with the data present on it.
Hence, in this article, we will get to know the steps to factory reset a desktop, PC, or laptop. But, before you factory reset the laptop, make sure you have a backup of all the essential files because resetting will remove everything from your device.
Steps to refresh a laptop
Before resetting a laptop to its factory settings, you can refresh it and see if it starts to work appropriately or not.
- In the search tool of the ‘Start’ menu of your Windows device, type ‘Refresh’.
- Now, you will see search results for ‘Refresh’.
- Here, you need to select ‘Refresh your PC without affecting your files’.
- Next, click on the ‘Get started’ button. You will find it present under ‘Refresh your PC without affecting your files’ option.
- Doing this will refresh the laptop and then you can see if it has started to work as should be.
Steps to factory reset a Windows 10 laptop
Reset PC windows 10 can be achieved by following the steps given below:
- Navigate to the Settings by clicking the gear icon from the Start menu.
- After this, select the ‘Update & Security’ option.
- Now, move to the left pane and select ‘Recovery’.
- Here, you will see three major options; ‘Reset this PC’, ‘Go back to an earlier build’ and ‘Advanced startup’.
- Next, you should select ‘Reset this PC’.
- You can choose to select from the two options that are as follows: “Keep my files” or “Remove everything”.
- After this, select “Just remove my files” or “Remove files and clean the drive”.
- Upon choosing the desired option, click ‘Next’.
- In the end, select ‘Reset’ followed by ‘Continue’.
Windows will then restart and may take a couple of minutes to reset it.
Factory reset laptop on Windows 8 and Windows 7
- First of all, click ‘Settings’ followed by ‘Change PC settings’.
- After this, click ‘General’ and then click ‘Remove everything and reinstall Windows’.
- Now, click on the ‘Get Started’ button.
- Further, select ‘Update and recovery’.
- Consecutively, select ‘Remove everything and reinstall Windows’ and click ‘Next’.
- Here, you can select the drives you wish to remove.
- Select the desired options to clean your drive and then click ‘Reset’.
This ‘factory reset laptop’ method is not applicable to Apple laptops.
- Microsoft Surface
Hopefully, the method given above has helped you to restore the laptop to factory settings. If not, either repeat the procedure or get expert assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does reset this PC mean in Windows 10?
‘Reset this PC’ is a tool in Windows 10 to repair some common issues of the device. You might have come across this option in the ‘Advanced Startup Options’ menu. If you use this tool, it keeps your personal files safe while removing the installed apps and then reinstalls Windows.
How do you wipe a computer clean to sell it?
Before selling your computer, it is important to clean wipe it. You can easily do it by performing a factory reset of the device. To do so, click on the ‘Settings’ option followed by ‘Update & Security’. After this, choose the ‘Recovery’ option and follow some on-screen prompts to restore the computer to its default settings.
How do you factory reset a locked laptop?
If you want to reset a Windows 10 PC that is locked, then, first of all, click the ‘Power’ button on the login screen while keep pressing the Shift button at the same time. After this, you need to select the ‘Troubleshoot’ option. Now, you will see a list of options from where you need to select the option reading as ‘Reset this PC’.
How can I wipe my computer without an administrator password?
In case you have already logged in to your device, then doing a factory reset without a password is easy. For this, you have to click on the ‘Settings’ option followed by ‘Update & Security’. Now, you have to select the ‘Recovery’ option and then tap on the ‘Get Started’ button present under the ‘Reset this PC’ option. Now, select one of the two options that are displayed on the screen and click ‘Next’. In case you haven’t logged in, then you may need to do it with the help of the installation disk.
- Can you factory reset a computer from BIOS?
If you are looking for the answer to this question, then the answer is ‘Yes’. We can factory reset a computer from BIOS. To do so, all you need to do is enter the BIOS of your device by tapping on the Start option followed by Power. After this, you need to press and hold the ‘Shift’ key. Further, select the ‘Restart’ button to reboot the device into the Windows Recovery Environment. Now, click ‘the ‘Troubleshoot’ followed by ‘Advanced’ and then click ‘UEFI Firmware Settings’. Restart your PC and follow some on-screen instructions.
- How do I factory reset my computer using the keyboard?
You have to begin by turning on the computer using the ‘Power’ button. Before it powers on completely, you have to hold and press the ‘F8’ key. Now, you need to select ‘Repair your computer’ using the Up or Down keys and then press ‘Enter’. In the end, follow some on-screen prompts and complete the option using the Up or down keys on the keyboard.
- Will resetting PC remove a virus?
Resetting the PC will remove the virus only if you choose the ‘Fully clean the drive’ option during the reset process. Doing so will remove all the settings and changes made by the users and restores the system back to its default settings. If the viruses are stored on the backup files, then doing a factory reset will not remove the virus from those locations.